Thursday 26 June 2008

More about cervical fusion...

We recently joined the MPS Society - Society for Mucopolysaccharide Diseases. They have a booklet about Morquio disease for children which gives an interesting information about Morquio's. Adnin had a read and since I've got two copies of it, I plan to give one to the school so that her friends at school would be able to understand her condition. Here is an extract from the booklet.
"Morquio's is also the reason why my neck is not as strong as other people's. When I was younger I had an operation called cervical fusion to make my neck stronger.
For a few months after the operation I had a metal frame around my head which was attached to a plastic jacket. It was a little uncomfortable to wear at first, but I quickly got used to it and even wore it to school. Everyone called it my halo! Before long it was time to remove my halo and jacket because my neck had become stronger.
I still have to be careful if I'm in a crowd that I don't get knocked by other people and I never do somersaults or trampolining as my neck would get hurt."

No comments: