Wednesday 3 September 2008

About Keratan Sulphate (KS)

During the conference, Dr Tomatsu directed us to the international Morquio web page at http://www.morquio.com/. I had a chance to look through and below is more information on keratan sulphate in a layman term :

KS is sort of sugar chain. Morquio patients can not digest KS since one of the enzymes to digest KS is missing in the body. Therefore, KS is accumulated in the body, especially, in the cartilage (bone) and eye cornea. The stored KS will destroy the cartilage layer (growth plate). Because of that, Morquio patients have a lot of signs and symptoms related to the bone.
When I was in Malaysia, I did try to give the kids growth hormon. It's watery type and I still have it in my cabinet and surely it didn't do any good. One way of wasting my money...
It will be unlikely to have a huge benefit by using the growth hormone since Morquio patients have sufficient growth hormone in the body. The fundamental issue of Morquio disease is caused by destruction of the growth plate with the accumulation of keratan sulfate in the cartilage cells. Therefore, we have to clear such storage material. Some patients have used the growth hormone in the past. However, till now, we have not noticed the huge benefits have occurred.
I have already gotten Dr Tomatsu's email address and will email him in a short while...

No comments: